heads down bottoms up
 
This new skin brings about a fresh new beginning, a change, reminding us the importance of looking at things from another perspective so that we may learn to understand and accept all that we see for not what they appear to be, but what they truly are.
Monday
in an attempt to spread happiness
Easter Saturday

I had to muster up so much internal motivation to get myself out of the house for a run around the park. It's not because i'm lazy - or maybe it is - but i could hardly imagine walking around the park without my pup anymore. Yes, it's sad and the feeling of loneliness freaks me out a little. I know i should be over it by now, and i am, but it's moments like these that if she was by my side, i wouldn't have had to try so hard in motivating myself. Nonetheless, i ended up running around the park for my good fix of endorphins. It sure did me good.

I noticed a lot of unfamiliar cars parked along the side of my street. Every festive season, young families and relatives from interstate would come down to Clayton to visit their grandparents, given that Clayton is invested with old grannies and grandpas. As i made my way to the park, a little old lady who was walking her little puppy around the block, stood at an intersection and stared at me as i approached. I was cruising along the path with such a steady pace that i didn't want to stop, but i accidently made eye contact. Normally an eye contact with a nod of the head is sufficient politeness to strangers, but it didn't seem adequate given that it is easter.

I stopped and pulled out my earphones, then commented on her beautiful puppy. I smiled and knelt down to pet him, and you know the elderly, they start to talk. So i started to talk. And before you know it, a massive conversation evolved. As general courtesy, i asked how her easter's going. I don't know whether it's me being over sensitive, but the old lady hesitated, paused and look down at the puppy. She dodged the question and told me that she lives alone and "patchy" is great company. I felt bad for asking the question, for it seemed to stir up some long lost emotions within her. And then, soon after we departed, i felt an overwhelming desire to spread happiness.

Easter Sunday

So, i drove out to safeway and coles with the purpose of purchasing some chocies for the old lady, but unfortunately, my trip was simply a waste of petrol as none of them were open. Silly me.

Easter Monday

As it is unlike me to give up, i decided to venture out again today to buy the easter eggs. And i did.

Holding onto a box of Rose easter eggs, i walked over to the old lady's house this afternoon and knocked on her door, hoping she remembered me from two days ago. She did. She was by herself at home with patchy, and was clearly overwhelmed and grateful for my random visit. I hope she didn't think i was a stalker of some sort. I handed the chocolates over, talked to her for a good ten minutes, and left.

As i strolled home, i asked myself a question: Why did i just do that? I have no explanation for putting in that effort, time and money, to make a stranger whom i've only randomly met happy, except that i just wanted to. It made me happy and made her happy. And knowing that that favour cannot be returned for she does not know my address or name for that sake, made me even happier. You may call me strange if you wish.

Work shared is halved.
Joy shared is doubled.
posted by sciurine @ 1:25 PM  
6 Comments:
  • At 11:50 AM, Blogger gneake said…

    What you just did is commendable, and should be emulated more by the general youth community. Youths on the street, too busy being gangstas, will never walk up to an old lady's door and present her with chocolate.

    Random acts of kindness is like feeding a fire. The more you put in, the more you get out of it. It's warm, it's obvious, and it will eventually attract people too. Nice work.

     
  • At 8:37 PM, Blogger sciurine said…

    Thanks gneake =)

    I think this was the first time i actually went well out of my way to make a stranger happy. I ought to do it more often.

    Something so insignificant in other people's eyes, yet so meaningful and fulfilling for the person doing it.

     
  • At 5:07 AM, Blogger Jingo said…

    wow, what a wonderful thing to do! Such acts of kindness are rare nowadays.

    Hopefully I'll be working in an old people's home in the Summer.

     
  • At 9:57 AM, Blogger ldbug said…

    That is so sweet! I believe that we need to spend more time with our elders.

    You're a good person:-)

     
  • At 12:26 AM, Blogger sciurine said…

    jingo: i'm not sure how fun working in an old people's home would be though! hehe. I'll let you know how i go with treating old people in hospitals for the next 18 weeks of my life.

     
  • At 12:28 AM, Blogger sciurine said…

    Idbug: thanks for dropping by and your nice comment =)

    Perhaps i'm an idealistic person, but i think there's goodness in everyone, it's just a matter of whether or not they put it to use.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 

ABOUT

Thoughts, ...flowing slowly and gracefully, ...awakening the senses, ...keeping you up in the night, I sometimes wonder why people write. To express? To reflect? To be heard? I write, to free myself from a world of thoughts.

BLOGGERS
LINKS
ARCHIVES
Powered by

Blogger Templates

BLOGGER