heads down bottoms up
 
This new skin brings about a fresh new beginning, a change, reminding us the importance of looking at things from another perspective so that we may learn to understand and accept all that we see for not what they appear to be, but what they truly are.
Tuesday
Fédération Internationale de Natation
I rocked up late to all three FINA world championship training sessions.
I had to make last minute rescheduling of two training sessions.
I am a young, naive university student.


You would think that FINA supervisors would recognise the last point essentially translates into: inexperienced, unreliable, and with very limited availability, that they would have placed more responsibility on other more mature, middle-aged, determined adult volunteers. But, no; they picked me. Me out of the 16 other highly capable Team Liaison Assistants volunteers. A few days ago, i received an email:

Dear Leanne,

Yesterday I was informed that one of our Team Liaison Assistant has had to withdraw because she got a job (she has been looking for something in her field for 2 years). You came across to me as being a very organised and friendly person, so I thought you would be the best candidate to assume the responsibility of the team that is now Team Liaison Assistant-less.....namely, Korea. I have went ahead and assigned Korea to you. I hope you don't mind. I know you are up to the challenge. (What makes her think i'm up for the challenge is still a mystery)

Korea is arriving on 15 March at 11.30 and is staying at Saville on Russell. One of the challenges is making sure Korea, with such a late arrival, gets to the Team Leader Meeting. I don't know how it will happen, but don't stress over it.


As i read this email, i smiled blankly at the flashing monitor on the sunday afternoon, allowing myself the time to register what that meant. I already have two teams to look after, i don't need a third. Whilst i am very humbled by the fact that i apparantly appear to be very organised and friendly, i highly doubt the genuinity of such compliment from a stranger who had only seen me twice, both times which i turned up late to the meeting with mini-skirt, thongs and messed-up hair. For FINA supervisors, they tend not to hold back with their fake compliments if it means the job gets done.

Re-reading the last sentence, "i don't know what will happen, but don't stress over it." What the heck is that supposed to mean? Am i really supposed to not stress over it and let it slide pass, stuffing up and sabotaging the Korean synchro team?

Oh well. More time off uni for volunteering; what more can i ask for when i'm already falling behind with school work...

Anywho, after witnessing too much unimpressive lack of organisation already from FINA, i realise that nothing will be done until i get off my bum. I have spent a good hour or so yesterday and today calling up hotels and confirming team meetings and protocols.

Sometimes i wonder why i always take so damn much on my plate...

I really should give myself a break. I need a holiday.
posted by sciurine @ 11:29 PM  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 

ABOUT

Thoughts, ...flowing slowly and gracefully, ...awakening the senses, ...keeping you up in the night, I sometimes wonder why people write. To express? To reflect? To be heard? I write, to free myself from a world of thoughts.

BLOGGERS
LINKS
ARCHIVES
Powered by

Blogger Templates

BLOGGER