heads down bottoms up
 
This new skin brings about a fresh new beginning, a change, reminding us the importance of looking at things from another perspective so that we may learn to understand and accept all that we see for not what they appear to be, but what they truly are.
Sunday
demanding people
I hate serving demanding people. I hated them back when i was working at Maccas, when i was working in a grocery shop and at Big W. Those who demand too much are to be shot down harshly.

I got a call early this morning notifying me that i apparently suck at my job. Not put as harshly as that, but the underlying message of the call was not-so-subtle. It is one thing to demand something you pay for, but it is a completely different story when you demand from a volunteer. I make sure i call you everyday at least once to ensure that everything is running smoothly. Since your arrival, we have not seen one another for one day. I can't possibly comprehend how much you miss my presence.

Taking the responsibility on board, i am more than happy to spend hours on end assiting you if you need me. I have spent 3 hours literally chasing after my team around the city, rectifying their mistakes. I am fine in doing so despite enduring stomach pains, physical exhaustion, and arriving late to a 21st birthday party, because at least i felt the appreciation for my efforts. I can travel to your hotel purely for your convenience to explain to you the competition manual, organise your transport and training, and ensure that you are comfortable with the competition procedures. That is my job and i am happy to complete my role to the best of my ability. I have taken a day off uni and a day of paid work, but i don't complain.

But let me tell you this. I am not here to be your slave and purchase phone cards and offer you coffee. I am thrilled to be part of such a magnificent event, but you have to understand that a uni student has a life. If you want me to come in for a few hours just to hang around and watch you train, i'd rather be sleeping. I offer to look after all your paper work and offer to discuss any issues of concern, yet each time you rudely and bluntly wave me off, assuring me that everything is under control. I am fine with your bluntness; perhaps that is just part of your culture or simply a manifestation of stress. I understand. But if you are going to reject me each time i offer to help out, then don't fucking turn around can ask my supervisor to ask me to come in and stand beside you and act busy whilst feeling completely and utterly useless by wasting precious time that can be spent on something more worthwhile.
posted by sciurine @ 11:20 PM  
2 Comments:
  • At 5:28 AM, Blogger Jingo said…

    Voluntary work should be relaxed and easy-going... If they want you to work scedules and start making demands then that's just exploiting your good will! Seems horribly unfair. Perhaps you should find another charitible cause that won't treat you so poorly?

     
  • At 5:54 PM, Blogger sciurine said…

    I really didn't expect this. I thought it'll be such a great opportunity, or in your words jingo, it'll look great on my CV ;)
    But it really didn't turn out so good. I guess i underestimated my own importance again..hehe

    But all in all, i'm fine with it now that my role is over. Very relieved. Thanks :)

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 

ABOUT

Thoughts, ...flowing slowly and gracefully, ...awakening the senses, ...keeping you up in the night, I sometimes wonder why people write. To express? To reflect? To be heard? I write, to free myself from a world of thoughts.

BLOGGERS
LINKS
ARCHIVES
Powered by

Blogger Templates

BLOGGER