heads down bottoms up
 
This new skin brings about a fresh new beginning, a change, reminding us the importance of looking at things from another perspective so that we may learn to understand and accept all that we see for not what they appear to be, but what they truly are.
Sunday
vista magic

Normally i'm a really stubborn person and when i decide on something, no one can change my mind. But recently, my indecisiveness in a major investment that will draw a huge crater in my savings account have frustrated me, and pushed me to my limits. Two months ago i said i'll buy a laptop. Within those two months, i switched from wanting to purchase a PC instead, back to laptop, then to PC, and then, last week i told myself i'll put the thought on hold.

Impulsive as i am, yesterday i woke up and drove out to Elsternwick to buy myself the Asus F3JP laptop. I have no idea what came over me and i still do not know, but either way, the purchase is made and my account savings have dropped so dramatically that it's depressing to even think about it. I better get good use out of this little expensive gadget.

Suffice for uni purposes, this 15.4" LCD wide screen comes with the currently unbeatable Intel Core2Duo, 1GB RAM, 80GB HDD, ATIX1700 graphics, bluetooth and all the other fancy features, plus a pre-installed version of the new and latest overly-excited and overly-advertised Windows accomplishment - Windows Vista Home Premium. Being haplessly incompetent with even the most basic of basic computer knowledge, i had to spend two months researching before even understanding what RAM was for, let alone understanding the purpose of Windows making yet another huge memory-comsuming upgrade. Now i understand.

With this new upgrade, you get a fancy windows media centre for high-class theatre style viewing of recorded tv programs, DVD, music downloads, radio systems and gaming devices. Along with which is vibrant outstanding colour and graphics quality, fade in-and-out screen changes, analogue clock on display and a high-speed easy-to-use search engine. It offers parental feautres such as set curfews and restricted R access to certain websites - which obviously doesn't affect me - and an upgraded version of virus protection for the notebook.

Is it worth the upgrade? i hear you mutter. My verdict through research and first-hand experience, don't bother if you are getting the normal vista home basic - aptly named as it literally is so basic to the point that there is no point. If you are considering, get Home premium but make sure memory on your system is suffice, and if you are purchasing a new PC, why not get vista with it...

Two months ago, i had no idea what RAM was... and my advice in the previous paragraph only goes to show how much crap can be published on websites and reviews from those who know so little...

P.S. i must extend my thanks to ROE for making my purchase possible
posted by sciurine @ 1:34 PM  
6 Comments:
  • At 5:28 AM, Blogger Jingo said…

    Vista is pure evil! Convert to Mac!

    But seriously, if you (like me) prefer to download your music and films then Vista could have some serious implications for your media files...

    Also, 1 GB to run Vista? I'm sure you need more..

     
  • At 8:24 PM, Blogger sciurine said…

    Vista is only evil in it's ability to munch up memory space...other than that, i think it's pretty cool. Excitment for Windows XP has long since plateaued, so Vista's definitly a fresh change.Graphics and media rocks on vista, you're right!

    Have no idea how much memory it's actually taken up, but atm, my comp's not lagging, so i assume it's okay for now..

    You sound like you really know your computer stuff! It's the games isn't it?

     
  • At 11:37 PM, Blogger gneake said…

    hm, im interested in seeing for myself now. care to bring your laptop to uni?

     
  • At 9:20 AM, Blogger Torquer said…

    I am in agreement with Jingo. I purchased a Mac laptop 2 and a half years ago. The technology on Mac OSX is the same as the new Vista just launched. Microsoft is nearly 3 years behind Apple. Sigh... I guese you were on a budget.

    It is much better than XP though - that was like OS8 (All mac geeks laugh).

     
  • At 4:09 PM, Blogger sciurine said…

    Torquer: Yeah, i was unfortunately on a budget and the Macs cost SO much more for just a standard one in their range! I can understand where you guys are coming from; i was initially hesitant 'cause there's no service packages out at the moment, thus, if anything stuffs up...uh oh :S

    Have to agree that Vista's much better than XP!

     
  • At 4:11 PM, Blogger sciurine said…

    gneake: will do - perhaps on one of those days i stay back to study, if you care to join. I might as well show you tmr if you come by...

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 

ABOUT

Thoughts, ...flowing slowly and gracefully, ...awakening the senses, ...keeping you up in the night, I sometimes wonder why people write. To express? To reflect? To be heard? I write, to free myself from a world of thoughts.

BLOGGERS
LINKS
ARCHIVES
Powered by

Blogger Templates

BLOGGER