heads down bottoms up
 
This new skin brings about a fresh new beginning, a change, reminding us the importance of looking at things from another perspective so that we may learn to understand and accept all that we see for not what they appear to be, but what they truly are.
Sunday
a harsh job underlying a beautiful title
Since i have nothing better to do with what little time i have left since recommencing uni and work *cough cough*, i decided to take on an important volunteer position with the FINA World Championships which starts in three weeks time. I am appointed as the Team Liasion Assistant for the Chinese and Macau synchronised swimming teams. I should feel privileged, honoured, and proud to hold such an important position, acting as an embassador for my birth country, but oddly, i'm actually a little afraid that i might not be able to do a good job at it and live up to the expectations.

I attended two training sessions this week, a volunteer induction session and a role specific training, both of which overwhelmed me - in particular, the role specific training gave me a small freight, after which my definition of "assistant" changed dramatically.

I am appointed as the team leader/liasion assistant for China and Macau, despite my inadequate and relatively poor ability to speak mandarin. Initially, i thought this position only required me to assist, as the title would falsely suggest, but i unfortunately underestimated my own significance. On arrival to the training session, i was greeted with a folder thick of information regarding my role and responsibilities - a folder that i must revise and memorise completely before the commencement of the World Championships, on top of my ridiculous uni workload.

To put it harshly, a team liasion assistant is equivalent of a slave; in my case, i'm a slave for the chinese and macau synchronised swimming team for 2 weeks. I need to organise my contacts with them, phone them on arrival, meet with their team coach and manager, ensure their full knowledge with all championship procedures, direct them to training sessions, take them on a venue tour, and even do their paper work and make sure everything is on time - to the second.

I have been in leadership positions before, but always with someone overlooking me, ensuring everything runs smoothly and to protocols. This time, i am alone. I need to make contacts myself, organise times myself, and ensure everything runs smoothly, myself. As you may be able to tell from the tone of this post, i am freaking out as much as i am looking forward to it. But no doubt, this will be a wonderful opportunity.
posted by sciurine @ 2:10 PM  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 

ABOUT

Thoughts, ...flowing slowly and gracefully, ...awakening the senses, ...keeping you up in the night, I sometimes wonder why people write. To express? To reflect? To be heard? I write, to free myself from a world of thoughts.

BLOGGERS
LINKS
ARCHIVES
Powered by

Blogger Templates

BLOGGER