heads down bottoms up
 
This new skin brings about a fresh new beginning, a change, reminding us the importance of looking at things from another perspective so that we may learn to understand and accept all that we see for not what they appear to be, but what they truly are.
Monday
Oz Open
Slipping on my Australian Open uniform, i stared absent-mindedly into the mirror at myself. I looked like a kid in my bright orange top, basketball shorts and sunnies. A complex mixture of enthusiasm, excitment and uneasiness flowed through me. I wasn't sure exactly how i'm supposed to be feeling; if there is ever a correct feeling. I was certainly excited a few hours ago, but now, i think i'm somewhat dreading tomorrow's first morning shift.

A few months ago whilst trying my luck looking for new students to tutor, i chanced upon a website that was recruiting australian open program sellers. I have never been to the AusOpen let alone know what the such a prestigious position of program seller meant. I applied anyway; just to experience the thrill of the interviewing process. Luckily, i was one of the many who were selected to attend a group interview.

Under the influence of peer pressure, i almost fell into the temptation of watching Grey's Anatomy at College and let my only chance of getting the job inadvertently slip away. But somehow i resisted. I rushed to the group interview, arriving at the Herald Weekly Towers a few minutes late, sweating from dashing around in the 35 degree celcius heat outside. Nonetheless, i made it there. Unaware of what to expect, a group of 25 of us prospective employees were ushered into a large broadroom. We sat around making small talk with those around us, trying to ease the rather tense and competitive atmosphere. Being one of the 'elders' of the pack, i felt slightly out of place in a room full of Year 11 and Year 12 students in their blazers.

After a few long minutes of more subtle desperate attempts at making conversation with our neighbouring strangers who may well be our future workmates, a strict looking middle-aged lady walked up on stage, whose voice projected like standing waves sweeping through the room. Who needs a microphone? After a short introduction and low down on what the role of a program seller incorporated, we were instructed to flip our name tags over and look at the words behind it. Mine said Singer - like or dislike.

Kathy: "Okay, now guess what? (excitedly) Everyone's going to make a 1 minute speech on the topic on the back of your name tags. On stage."
Me: thinking, crap crap crap, what did i get myself into...
Kathy: "We'll be taking notes. Now this is your chance to show what a good program seller you will be. If you don't think you can do this, then you shouldn't consider this job. Those of you can leave now if you wish, but if you stay, you'll have to be enthusiastic."
Me: scanning around the room, praying that someone would walk out, whom i would gratefully follow with relief.
Kathy: "Okay, let's start from this side of the room."
Me: crap.

Like all my other previous public speaking encounters, i spoke, though loudly, my voice was obliviously shaking against my will, i was trembling with nervousness and my palms were sweating profusely. I spoke about nothing; just hopelessly stringing together a whole bunch of words, forming what is know as broken sentences. I've had so many chances of improving my public speaking skills at high school as captain, but never have i taken it seriously. Nor did i have the ability to improve.

Miraculously, my appalling attempt at talking in front of a small class won me the job. I am an official australian open program seller. And tomorrow is my first shift. Apparently we are awarded with something (fingers crossed that they are free passes) if our sales exceed last years'. I think the incentives of being a part of the aussie open is what i actually look forward to; free passes, icy poles, free everything - not the actual job itself.


I am nervous, excited, anxious, and longing...for a sleep in.

Wish me luck.
posted by sciurine @ 7:58 PM  
3 Comments:
  • At 7:54 AM, Blogger Jingo said…

    Grey's Anatomy is my gospel! Hope you have fun with this Ozzie Open business, it's a shame the UK can only muster up Andy Murray and Tim Henman

     
  • At 8:08 AM, Blogger sciurine said…

    You must also love House then i assume!

    I had my first shift yesterday, and the only thing i actually found enjoyment and rejoice in was the fact that i was rostered on as an outdoor sales person but somehow got to stay inside in an air con room, away from the 40 degree heat outside. I know my luck has run out for today's shift though...

     
  • At 10:13 AM, Blogger Jingo said…

    Hugh Laurie is God! I'm always saying how much I'd love to be like House lol.

    I'd love to do a job like yours. So different... a worthwhile experience.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 

ABOUT

Thoughts, ...flowing slowly and gracefully, ...awakening the senses, ...keeping you up in the night, I sometimes wonder why people write. To express? To reflect? To be heard? I write, to free myself from a world of thoughts.

BLOGGERS
LINKS
ARCHIVES
Powered by

Blogger Templates

BLOGGER