heads down bottoms up
 
This new skin brings about a fresh new beginning, a change, reminding us the importance of looking at things from another perspective so that we may learn to understand and accept all that we see for not what they appear to be, but what they truly are.
Sunday
christmas dinner
I went to my first work christmas dinner a couple of nights ago. I've worked at this clinic as a receptionist for over a year now, and i've missed pretty much every formal occasion. Last year's xmas dinner because i was down at Phillip Island tanning, a couple of farewell drinks throughout the year, and the most recent gathering in which i decided to miss for dinner and karaoke with a few friends. This time, i had to make an appearence despite having a fever and cold.

Initially i was semi nervous with the thought of dining with all mature-aged health professionals; i wouldn't know what to talk to them about, anxious if i landed myself in a seat next to physios from other clinics whom i didn't know, and slightly afraid of sitting next to my managers.

Walking into the semiformal occasion half drenched, i stood in front of my work colleagues for a few good moments scanning. I couldn't recognise them in the dim lighting without my glasses. Rather embrassed after a few seconds, i realised jacinta was staring at me ,confused as to why i just stood there. Wet and flustered, i waddled to a vacant seat next to her, amongst many unfamiliar faces. After a casual and effortless attempt at introducing me to the others, she received a phone call from our manager saying that he'll be late. Really late. Out of politeness, the table of 20 waited for his 2 hour fashionably-late arrival, thus starting dinner at 9:30pm instead of 7:30pm.

The dinner was amazing. Entree being a marinated chicken breast salad, a smoked salmon with semi-dried tomatoes with chips and greens as the main, finished off with a beautiful mouth watering raspberry white chocolate cheese cake. *ugh* so good, so good.

The small talk turned out okay, but i felt slightly restricted when i realised i was stucked in between my manager and my supervisor. The conversations soon ran wild after a little bit of alcohol influence, mainly revolving around the topic of children, sex and rooting - whatever that is. I'm certainly not as innocent as most people think i am, but on the table of mature drunk health professionals who use big words like perineum, i felt clueless. Apparently the gift jacinta received looked like some kind of sex toy, but all i did was stare at it blankly whilst the others giggled. Had no idea.

I'm glad i went.
posted by sciurine @ 8:21 PM  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 

ABOUT

Thoughts, ...flowing slowly and gracefully, ...awakening the senses, ...keeping you up in the night, I sometimes wonder why people write. To express? To reflect? To be heard? I write, to free myself from a world of thoughts.

BLOGGERS
LINKS
ARCHIVES
Powered by

Blogger Templates

BLOGGER